I am a notoriously light traveler. I once spent two weeks in the BVI followed by 10 days in Southern California with only my backpack and laptop bag. It is painstaking for me overtime, my husband and I travel as he always wants to check a bag and I simply don’t do that. I’ve come to find packing a truly healing experience in that it nurtures me and pleases my senses, as I’m preparing to create the feeling of home in my new destination. For entertainment purposes and perhaps a nudge to create home wherever you be, I offer you this list of my “can’t live withouts” when I travel.
I always keep in mind this quote from one of my very first mentors, Dottie Fong,
“Whatever you have is what you need.”
- Crystals- Before each trip, I carefully select crystals that feel like they will offer healing benefit, comfort or energy that will be imperative to my travel and experience in the new location. You can pretty much count on me keeping a jade dolphin with me for protection, intuition and staying connected to my inner wisdom. As well as a chrysocolla for creativity and labordorite for synchronicity and serendipity.
- Essential Oils- I have a couple go to faves like palo santo and frankincense that always travel with me. And then I select a couple others that feel right for the vibe of the trip. Peppermint oil often comes with as it is great for releasing physical tension. On this trip Vetiver also joined the oil party to keep my immune system strong and my mind open to receiving all the offerings from my training.
- My Homeopathic First Aid Kit- Which will aid in treating any unexpected pathology - bumps and bruises, allergic reactions, exhaustion, sunburn etc.
- Journal and a favorite pen- This is one of my favorite things to pack, it is super pleasing to slide a journal into my laptop bag, just waiting to be impregnated with new ideas, concepts and thoughts.
- A book or two- On this trip I am reading Sacred Success by Barbara Stanny and I’ve brought along a Facial Diagnosis in Chinese medicine book by Lilian Bridges that is begging for a re-read.
- Dance shoes- These are a must have for me, in the event there’s a latin event I stumble upon. Dancing brings so much joy through expression and connection, I love to indulge!
- Noise cancelling headphones - The Bose headphones have literally chanced my life! They are so comfortable and eliminate the external noise magnificently.
- Lip Stick- Vegan and totally natural by Pacifica, it gives me the feeling of confidence to speak from my heart and share outwardly.
- My Nikon Underwater Camera- One thing I’ve learned about over the years is that I will stop at almost no end to be one with the sea, sometimes this means free diving, swimming with amazing wildlife and being immersed. This camera has served me so well above and below water, it is always one of the first items I pack. Before having lassie surgery my vision was so awful that I could really only see the world through the pictures I took. I still find it really healing to take photographs.
- Something from my hubby- This trip he offered up a few of his favorite films and a scarf I wore on our last outing together. I never know what I am going to get from him but it is always super fun to open my bags to the essence of someone that reminds me of home more than anything else.
Each of these items serves that purpose of home for me and helps me to actively engage in the healing process that a trip offers. I always set my intention for the highest and best during travel and make time to simply be one with the space.
I’d love to hear your unique travel Can’t Live Withouts!