There's a part of us that will always be the child within. The spirit of us that is doing exactly what we want, exactly when we want to. This part of us knows no rules, stays in the present and truly has fun living this life.
Somehow, as we develop responsibilities and face the "rules" that society puts upon us and we adopt as our own, we stop listening to this childish innocence that really just wants to play. When it comes down to it,
What's wrong with playing as adults?
I used this term "wild" on purpose. Wild refers to something not domesticated, not subject to restraint and indicative of strong nature, passion and emotion. After chatting with several amazing friends about this topic, I am realizing more and more the healing benefits of activating our inner wild child. I'm not saying go do something illegal, but I am saying do something that makes you feel FREE! Something that is inline with your nature, passion and emotion.
Let your inner child speak to you.
Simply quiet your mind and talk with the spirit of that child. What is he/she craving right now? What would he/she be doing?
Make the time to embrace the requests of the wild child within.
Maybe after work, on your lunch break or after dinner, you choose to let the child in you OUT and exposed to the world.
Go do it!
Seriously follow through with the impulse. It doesn't have to be anything grand, most things children enjoy most are not. Don't you remember being just as fascinated by playing with pots and pans as toys?
Here are my favorite ways to AWAKEN MY INNER CHILD:
- blow bubbles during lunch
- light sparklers at dark
- pick flowers and gift them to someone
- make castles in the sand
- doodle anytime, anywhere
- play games - board games, card games, outdoor tag games
- chase your partner (seriously, P and I do this all the time, it usually ends in major hugs and laughter)
- color, paint, create art - the end product doesn't matter, but the fun of creation sure does
- dance, anywhere, anytime
- play, really play with your pets, be fascinated
- look for fireflies
- play your favorite song and sing it at the top of your lungs
- stomp in puddles when the rain falls
- make shadow puppets
- play in the snow
I'd love to hear the ways you awaken your inner wild child!